Waste & Recycling
Please put your bins out by 5am on the scheduled day or better still the night before.
Bins could be picked up anytime from 5am onwards. If your bin is not out by 5am, there is no guarantee it will be collected.
Rural Kerbside Waste collection days:
- Condingup - Tuesday
- Gibson, Scaddan, Grass Patch, Salmon Gums and Cascades are all picked up on Wednesday
Other local recycling in Esperance: http://recyclingnearyou.com.au/council/EsperanceWA
Information and Education
We can all do our bit to reduce waste to landfill, check out these informative websites:
Own Your Impact: https://ownyourimpact.com.au/
Link to the War on Waste webpage, http://www.abc.net.au/ourfocus/waronwaste/
Story of Stuff: https://storyofstuff.org/
Wyile Bay Recycling Tours: A guided visit to the Recycling Shed highlights to visitors just what happens to our recyclables after the truck empties the bin at home. You will see how the products are sorted and baled ready for transport to Perth. Bookings essential, for further information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Paper & Cardboard Products Newspapers, magazines, cardboard and telephone books, milk and juice cartons (Please rinse & squash flat) Steel & Aluminium Containers Cans and clean foil trays Glass Bottles & Jars
Clear bottles & Jars (White green or brown)
No Ceramics, porcelain, china or window glass
Plastic Bottles & Containers
Cool drink, water, juice and milk bottles, clear plastic film
Please note that these items CANNOT be recycled - Please DO NOT place these items in your blue bin.
- Food scraps
- Lawn clippings/wood
- Styrofoam Meat trays
- Long life milk containers
Kids juice cartons
Residential Recycling Service
Service provided: Co-mingled
Domestic recycling bin sizes:
- 120L blue bin
- 240L blue bin
- 360L blue bin
Collection: Fortnightly on same day as general rubbish collection.
The occupier must ensure that waste and recycling bins are:
- Out prior to 5am on the scheduled day of collection (see calendar below) - preferably out the night before your collection day
- Kept clean and free of contaminants (non recyclable materials)
- Placed on the street verge approximately half a metre (0.5m) from the kerb with the lid opening closest to the road.
- Green and blue bins need to be placed one metre (1m) apart to ensure the truck has room to collect each bin. Click Here for diagram.
- Position bins away from any over-hanging obstructions so the do not interfere with the use of roads, footpaths, cycle ways etc
- Returned inside the property once emptied
Soft Plastics should go to Redcycle Collections at Coles and Woolworths stores
Redcycle can recycle - Click here
Note: The Shire has a "3 Strikes Policy". Recycling bins containing contaminants (i.e. non-recyclable products) will not be collected. If this occurs three times the recycling service is removed from the property. Offensive contamination such as nappies and food waste is particularly penalised as all recyclables are hand sorted in Esperance
The loss of or damage to a bin caused by an occupant is the owner’s responsibility.
Commercial Recycling Service
The Shire of Esperance provides a weekly recycling collection service for businesses, schools and organisations that wish to participate.
Service provided: Co-mingled (glass is exempt)
Commercial Recycling Bin sizes:
- 4.5m3 bulk recycling bin
- 3m3 bulk recycling bin
- 1.5m3 bulk recycling bin
- 360L blue bin
- 240L blue bin
Collection: Tuesday or Thursday mornings
NOTE: A fortnightly collection is available for businesses only where it coincides with the residential collection.
Town Recycling Stations
The recycling stations are available for use by all residents who live outside the current recycling collection area as well as tourists.
The Recycling Stations are located In the below locations:
Bunnings carpark, corner of Norseman Road and Arthur Street
Visitor Centre Carpark, corner Kemp and Dempster Streets
- Place all recyclables into the bins LOOSE
- Do not tie them up in bags
- Do not over load bins as it causes litter issues.
Please report misuse to the shire on (08) 9071 0666.
Rural Recycling Stations
Rural recycling Stations are located in the towns of:
- Grass Patch
- Salmon Gums