Verge Side Bulk Waste Collection 2023
Commencing Monday 1 May 2023 the Shire of Esperance will begin the Verge Side Bulk Waste Collection and will be done in two Zones.
ZONE 1 - Commencing Monday 1 May 2023
West of Esperance, Townsites of Condingup, Gibson, Scaddan, Grass Patch, Salmon Gums
ZONE 2 - Commencing Monday 8 May 2023
Esperance, East of Esperance
- Collection start time will be 7am
- Trucks will pass by once
- Verge collection will continue throughout the week until all areas have been serviced
What do you need to do?
- Place items neatly on the verge up to one week prior to collection - no sooner - and no later than the evening prior to collection.
- Sort your waste into sections on the verge.
- White goods/steel, E-waste (computers, TV’s), mattresses;
- General household junk collection
To ensure maximum waste is recycled, multiple trucks will pass by to collect recyclable items.
- Do not obstruct footpaths, line of sight, fences, signs, bus stops, poles, bins or create a safety hazard.
- Items longer than 1.5m can not be collected.
Please Remove uncollected items from the verge by Monday 15th May 2023. Waste items left on the verge may be considered as littering.
BULK BIN OPTION
If you live on a property that isn't being serviced by the Verge Side Bulk Waste Collection, the Bulk Bin option will be available to you.
To be eligible your property must be located within 25km of Esperance town and be 10ha or less in size.
To book your Bulk Bin, an online form will be available here soon.
If you have any question, please contact the Waste & Recycling Team on 9071 0666 or email email@example.com
- Will Rural Properties be part if the 2023 Verge Side Waste Collection?
If your residential property lies outside the mapped collection area you may be able to order a one off bulk bin collection.
Bulk Bin Requests will be available for residential blocks up to 10ha and within 25kms radius of Esperance Post Office.
All orders must be placed via the online booking form https://www.esperance.wa.gov.au/verge-side-bulk-waste-collection
- What are my options as a rural landowner and still not eligible for a bulk bin collection?
If you get permission from a friend or relative in town, you could leave your waste on their verge.
Many items are free to deliver to the Wylie Bay Waste Facility, for example scrap steel, white goods, TV’s and computers.
Every ratepayer receives 4 waste vouchers per year. Many of the accepted items in the verge collection are free to deliver or a voucher entry can be utilised.
Wylie Bay Waste Facility
Waste and Recycling Information Flyer
- Will you pick up washing machines and clothes dryers?
Yes, these are part of the whitegoods collection and are recycled as scrap steel. All doors should be removed prior to placing on verge for safety.
- Will you pick up fridges and old air conditioners? What happens with the gas in fridges/air conditioners?
Fridges and air conditioners will be degassed when they arrive at the Wylie Bay Waste Facility by licensed staff members. The refrigerant is recovered and recycled in an environmentally responsible manner. All fridge doors should be removed prior to placing on verge for safety.
Please note fridges and air conditioners are not accepted in the Bulk Bin collection.
- Will you pick up green waste / garden waste ie. trees?
Green waste and garden waste will not be accepted.
This item can be delivered to the Wylie Bay Waste Facility free of charge and will be mulched on site.
- What happens to items collected?
The Shire aims to keep as many items out of landfill as possible.
Steel, whitegoods, E-waste and other recyclable items will be collected separately and recycled where possible.
Other waste, that can’t be recycled, will be collected in a waste truck and disposed of at landfill.
- What if things are too good for Verge Side pick up?
Consider giving your unwanted items a new home by donating to charity e.g. Red Cross, Anglican OpShop and Esperance Care Services.
We also hold Garage Sale Trail every year. This year it is over 2 weekends, in November.
Register HERE and find out how to host your own epic Garage Sale!
- What if unacceptable items are put on the verge?
Any items set out for collection that do not comply with collection guidelines, will not be collected. It is the responsibility of the resident to remove any remaining waste.
Remember that littering or illegal dumping penalties may apply if waste is left on verges from the 15th May 2023, or failure to comply with collection guidelines.
Please review list of accepted and not acceptable items and how to set them out on the verge.
- Can I book the Bulk Bin Collection even if I have a verge collection?
No, the Bulk bin option is only for residential blocks outside the verge collection area and within 25kms of Esperance Post Office.