Under the Local Government Act 1995, Council has the power to establish committees of three or more persons to assist the Council and to exercise the powers and discharge the duties of the local government that can be delegated to committees.
All committees continue operating until each Ordinary Council Election Day unless the Council makes a decision to disband the committee at an earlier stage. The Local Government Act outlines how meetings should be conducted and describes the roles of elected members, administration staff and the public. A Guide to Meetings has been published by the Department of Local Government and Communities which details meeting procedures to ensure they are in line with Western Australian legislative requirements and accepted meeting practice.
Our Current Council Committees are:
- Audit Committee
- Bush Fire Advisory Committee
- Museum Management Reference Group
- Twin Towns Committee
- Esperance RoadWise Committee
- Greater Sports Ground Redevelopment Advisory Committee
- Scaddan Restoration Reference Group
- Esperance Visitor Centre Management Committee
- Youth Advisory Council
- New Landfill Community Reference Group
- Reconciliation Action Plan Working Group
Councils Standing Orders, Code of Conduct and Terms of Reference apply to all Council committee members and can be viewed by clicking on the titles below:
The Standing Orders Local Laws prescribes how all meetings of Council (including meetings of Council committees) are to be conducted.
The Shire of Esperance Code of Conduct provides elected members, committee members and staff with consistent guidelines for acceptable standards of professional conduct
The Terms of Reference document contains terms of reference (including membership) for all of Council’s committees, as well as a list of councillors who have been appointed to external committees. Council can amend the Terms of Reference for any committee at any time. Any changes will be reflected in the Terms of Reference document as soon as is practicable.
Expressions of Interest
Expressions of Interest for community members to join committees are called once Council has reviewed its committees following each Ordinary Council Election Day, and at other times when vacancies arise. If you are interested in sitting on a committee please complete this nomination form and submit it to email@example.com
Council is also represented on several external Committees including:
- Adventureland Park Management Committee
- Goldfields-Esperance Country Zone of WALGA, GVROC and GERCG
- Local Emergency Management Committee
- Port Development Consultative Committee
- Ralph Bower Foundation
- Regional Road Group
- Senior Citizens Centre Management Committee
- Tourism Esperance
- Western Australian Regional Capitals Alliance