Skip to main content

Building & Demolition Applications


You are here

Building & Demolition Applications

We have information packs available for many projects. Whether you are building a dwelling, outbuilding, swimming pool, fence, retaining wall, an industrial or a commercial building, come in and collect an information pack from the Shire. Alternatively, please contact us on (08) 9071 0666 and we can post an information pack to you.

If you are considering renovations, a new construction or a demolition it's important to consult the Shire of Esperance to ensure that you obtain the correct advice about the plans and processes you need to follow prior to lodging a permit application.

Please Note: Planning approval must be applied for and issued prior to a Building Permit Application being accepted by the Shire.

Building Permits

When applying for a building permit, it is necessary to submit two copies of detailed plans and specifications together with a Building Permit Application Form (available from the Building Commission Website).

Building permits now fall into two categories:

Certified Applications

Must be accompanied by a Certificate of Design Compliance, certified by a private building surveyor. The Certificate of Design Compliance must be completed prior to the lodgement of a certified permit application.

All Class 2-9 buildings require private certification. 

Uncertified Building Application

Includes Class 1a (single residential housing) and Classes 10a and 10b (non-habitable buildings, fences, retaining or free-standing walls, swimming pools, private garages and sheds). For this category the permit authority (Shire of Esperance) will issue a certificate of design compliance.

Permit Application Forms

It's important to note that only Building Commission forms can be used when submitting your application for a building permit. Building Commission permit application forms and guides can be downloaded here (from the Building Commission website)

If the work proposed relates to amending aspects of a current and approved Building Permit, a new Building Permit Application is required to be completed.

Complete the form clearly outlining all changes, value of variation, and provide revised plans.

Demolition Permit Information

A demolition permit must be obtained before work commences on the demolition for any housing, commercial and industrial developments, including minor works such as garages and carports unless exempt under r.42 of the Building Regulations 2012. If unsure as to whether a permit will be necessary please contact Building Services on (08) 9071 0676.

A contractor licenced and approved by WorkSafe is required to oversee and carry out all demolition works except for single storey dwellings and Class 10 domestic outbuildings in accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 and Occupational Safety and Health Regulations 1996. Visit Worksafe for further information.

Demolition permit application forms are available from the Building Commission's website.

Owner Builders

Under the Building Services (Registration) Act 2011 only a registered building practitioner or a registered building contractor can perform particular building work. 

If you intend to owner-build, whether renovations or a new dwelling altogether, information and the owner-builder licence application can be found at the Building Commission's website or from Building Services in the Shire of Esperance Administration Building.

Energy Efficiency

New dwellings and extensions are required to comply with the Energy Efficiency Provisions contained in the Building Code of Australia (BCA).

For further information and a copy of the Energy Efficiency Checksheet and Glazing Calculator (which is required with all building licence applications for dwellings and extensions), please refer to the Building Commission's website.

New Energy Efficiency provisions have been added to the Building Code of Australia (BCA) which require new dwellings and additions to comply with the provisions set out in Part 3.12 of the BCA.

The Shire is required to check compliance against these provisions and the onus is on the builder to demonstrate that new dwellings and / or additions comply with the various elements of Part 3.12 of the BCA. Compliance can be achieved in two different ways, namely:

Deemed to Satisfy

The Deemed-to-Satisfy provision consists of two compliance options:

  • Option 1: Energy rating in accordance with clause 3.12.0(a)(i) of the BCA.
  • Option 2: Elemental provisions in accordance with clause 3.12.0(a)(ii) of the BCA.

In addition, where either of the options are used, provisions for Services under Part 3.12.5 of the BCA also apply.

The BCA2012 check sheets previously available on the Building Commission website for new houses are out of date and should not be used therefore they have been removed from the website. The Building Commission will not be providing updated versions of these check sheets.

Alternative Solutions

An alternative solution must demonstrate compliance with the relevant performance requirements in the BCA by using one or more of the following assessment methods:

  • Verification method (such as verification using a reference building under V2.6.2.2 of the BCA Volume Two or any other verification method that the relevant building surveyor accepts)
  • Comparison with the Deemed-to-Satisfy provision
  • Evidence of suitability
  • Expert judgement


Part 2.6 of the BCA contains Performance Requirements for Energy Efficiency and Part 3.12 provides Deemed-to-Satisfy Provisions. The BCA is available free online from the Australian Building Codes Board website.

WA Alterations and Additions Protocol for Energy Efficiency

The Building Commission has supported an industry-led project to provide a practical building solution to enable alterations and additions in Class 1 or attached Class 10 buildings to meet the energy efficiency requirements.  This project has resulted in the development of a WA Alterations and Additions Protocol for Energy Efficiency (the Protocol). The Protocol provides the basis of an alternative solution that can be developed to demonstrate compliance with the BCA’s energy efficiency performance requirements for alterations and additions in Class 1 and Class 10 buildings.


Employ the Services of an Accredited Energy Efficiency Assessor

Assessors wishing to be accredited as NatHERS Assessors in WA must comply with the protocols set out by Federal and State governments in order to gain accreditation.

These protocols require assessors to have:

  • Industry experience and professional or trade qualifications.
  • Completion of approved training.
  • Continuing professional development training.
  • Compliance with a Code of Practice to ensure maintenance of professional standards.
  • Compliance with Accredited Assessment Procedures to ensure reliable, consistent assessments.
  • Maintenance of Professional Indemnity Insurance.
  • Auditing of assessments to determine compliance with professional standards.
  • ABSA Accredited Assessors are listed in the Find an Assessor section of this website, where consumers can locate professionals able to assist them with their various building assessment needs.


You can find an accredited ABSA assessor at the Australian Building Sustainability Association.

Building in a Designated Bushfire Prone Area 

If you are considering building in a designated bush fire prone area construction must address compliance with bush fire requirements of the BCA.

In accordance with Building Code of Australia (BCA) Performance Requirements - GP5.1 & P2.3.4 a building constructed in a designated bushfire prone area must, to the degree necessary, be designed and constructed to reduce the risk of ignition from a bushfire, appropriate to the:

  1. potential for ignition caused by burning embers, radiant heat or flame generated by a bushfire; and
  2. Intensity of bushfire attack on the building.

Applies to: (regardless of the lot size)

  • Class 1         e.g. Dwellings; bed and breakfast 
  • Class 2         e.g. Apartments
  • Class 3         e.g. Hotels; Accommodation for Aged, Children or People with Disabilities
  • Class 10a     e.g. Buildings or Decks  (associated with Class 1, 2 or 3 buildings)


If your property is in a bush fire prone area, Australian Standard 3959 requires that your property be assessed to determine a “Bushfire Attack Level” (BAL), this will determine the appropriate construction requirements for your property. Only an Accredited Bush Fire Assessor is able to undertake this assessment.

The Building Commission’s guide is available if you wish to improve the design and construction of your home to minimise potential damage from bushfires. The guide explains the construction requirements and building standards for new homes and assists with upgrading your existing home for better protection from bushfires.

Additional information can be obtained from the Building Commission's website.  

Building Permit Checklists

Building permit information checklists detail the requirements for lodging applications for a building permit and are available from the Statutory Division counter located within the Shire Administration Building or can be downloaded. 

Note: This checklist is provided as a broad guide only and may be subject to change without notice. Additional information may be required following formal assessment of any application, particularly for alternative designs.

Internal processing checklists may also be obtained by contacting the Shire's Building Surveyor.

To determine the applicable application fees please contact the Statutory Division on (08) 9071 0676.

Crossover Applications

A Crossover Application must be lodged with the Shire's Asset Management department at least 10 days prior to works commencing on any section(s) of driveways within the road reserve.

For any further queries or assistance, please feel free to contact Neil Williams on (08) 9071 0666 or at or call in to the Shire Administration Centre on Windich Street.

Crossover Application form

Crossover policy

Notice of Completion

Requirements under the Building Act 2011 (for all classes of buildings) state that the builder must submit a Notice of Completion (form BA7) within 7 days of finishing the work listed under a permit.

The purpose of this Notice of Completion is to establish an end date for the building permit and for compliance and record keeping purposes. It also defines the date that the builder has fulfilled his compliance obligations under the Building Act 2011.


Further Information

For further information including applicable fees for building/demolition permits and building approval certificates refer to the Building Commission's website.

For additional information or assistance, please contact Building Services on (08) 9071 0676 or call in to the Shire Administration Building on Windich Street.