Building Services Information
The role of Building Services is to control building construction within the Shire. This is achieved through enforcing the requirements of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1960, Building Regulations, the Building Code of Australia, Local Laws and other statutory provisions as applicable. Building Services is responsible for (although not limited to):
· The issuance of building permits, demolition permits and sign licences;
· Undertaking building site inspections;
· Undertaking swimming pool barrier inspections;
· Initiating legal action in relation to building work; and
· Compliance checks and building related conflict resolution
Checklists relating to building permit applications are available from the Building Permit Application page, while standard permit application forms are available from the Building Commission's website.
As part of a Council that prides itself on the quality of its work, Building Services is committed to our customers and aims to provide the highest standard of service to our ratepayers.
Building Services staff can be contacted by phoning (08) 9071 0676 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are required to submit an application for a building permit if you intend to construct a house or other building, extend an existing building (including patios and other open-sided additions) and / or change the use of a property.
Building and planning approvals are required to be granted for developments including, though not limited to, the following:
· Single or grouped dwellings;
· Any external additions to a house (building licence required for internal additions);
· Pergolas, patios, cabanas or vergolas;
· Carports and sheds;
· Swimming pools;
· Tennis courts and lighting;
· Re-roofing a building;
· Change of use;
· Commercial, industrial, retail uses;
· Filling and retaining land (retaining walls);
· Home businesses; and
· All front fences greater than 1.2m and dividing fences greater than 1.8m above natural ground level (note these require an over height dividing fence agreement to be signed by the applicant and the adjoining owner).